Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Rally round...

I hear that it's good luck to catch a Leprechaun, or to have a trapped Genie in your possession... but when it comes to Aussies you don't need to restrain one to get a wish or two granted.

A dear friend of mine in Brisbane, Queensland, where, by the way, they are suffering their own crisis with flooding, has emailed me with the following response to an email I sent out to my interstate friends.


Hi Bear,
Just a quick note in response to your email yesterday about Victoria’s Bushfires ... I'm so sorry to hear of your family's loss, and glad to know that they escaped relatively unharmed... I feel pretty helpless as people usually do in situations like these... especially when you are at a distance. Money and all that helps I know, and that I have done through the Red Cross, however I was thinking.......

If your family, or anyone else that has suffered, known to you or your family, need to get away for a while for any reason at all, now or in the coming months (to recover / de-stress / chill-out / holiday ... whatever) I have a 4 bedroom house and there is only me here (& the 2 cats). I am South Brisbane and the Gold Coast is no distance away.... I really mean it Bear ... my house is open to anyone who needs a break... Email or call me any time...

Lynette.



As I'm sure is repeated all over the world in times of terror, war and natural disasters... one is rarely left to struggle alone.

So I'd like to thank all the Lynette's of the world.
Without your love, thoughts and selfless support this tragedy would be so much worse.


4 comments:

Its Time to Live said...

As I follow your countries story I have to say I'm sorry. Though I am a Yank, I love Australia and its people. I did live there for two years in 79-81. I was in the Adelaide and then Darwin areas. People come together in bad times. Know that we care even across the big waters.

Bear said...

It's Time to Live...:
With all the new visitors that I've had, from the US and other countries, many of which don't leave a comment, I can surely attest to the sense and feeling of community.

Thank you for you concern.

Loz said...

And the best of human nature is shown in times of crisis. That is a wonderful gesture from your friend

Anonymous said...

Lynette sounds like a very compassionate and caring woman. What a lovely thing to do.