Monday, February 9, 2009

A brain sizzler of a day...


On Saturday when the worst of the weather and the bushfires were raging, the temperature hit 47 C (117 F, for those still using old money) in my part of the world.

I was at my old house, the one that I'm vacating, taking care of the last pieces of furniture and generally cleaning up. Even though the new owners are bulldozing the place to build afresh, I felt I should leave the place as spic and span as I possibly could. I know... but I'm 'anal'.

Anyway, as it was SO hot and uncomfortable, I kept worrying about MB (Mama Bear) and whether or not she had switched the air conditioner on as I had instructed. I was also concerned that she didn't switch it to heat as she had once before "...because it's a lot quieter on that setting."

So at one point I decided to head to MB's and check on her.

As I drove up towards her house I could see that she was outside... today... of all days!!! What on earth is SO important that she needs to be out side on a day where one could almost fry one's brain if one wasn't careful and wearing a hat.

As I turned into the driveway I glanced across the yard and saw mum scuttling along the path and up the steps to the front door, and disappear inside the house. But something about her caught my eye as she scooted along the path in full sunlight.

In the short time I saw her I couldn't quite pick what it was... but something looked different about her... she seemed to radiate light from her silvery grey hair. I wasn't sure what to make of it, and just thought the brightness of the searing sun was reflecting straight into my eyes from her rather thinning but quite reflective hair. Which will be a comfort if she ever goes wandering the neighbourhood streets at night.

When I got inside, I caught up with MB as she was leaving the kitchen and heading down the hallway.

Me: What were you doing out in this heat?
MB: I was putting some rubbish out in the bin.
Me: (Not wanting to repeat a recent discussion... but I had to say something) But you'll fry your brain out there today if you're not careful.
MB: (Rather tersely) I'm not stupid... I was wearing a hat.

Now I knew for a fact that she did NOT have a hat on. And besides, as she told me about the hat, she pointed to the kitchen table in that way she does when she's referring to something. She points to it. Well I also knew for a fact that her hat, the only sun hat she owns, was not on the table.

Me: (As I turned towards the table) Where, there's no hat on the table.
MB: (Quite angry, the way she gets when I question her sensibilities) There... (pointing) right there on the table.

And with that she turned and huffed off. I looked again but there was no hat. There were other things, like grocery catalogues, her collection of too many plastic shopping bags and a calendar that she constantly checks and uses as a memory jogger. But no hat that I could... but wait, what's that...?

Just then MB walked back into the kitchen and no doubt could see the puzzlement on my face...

MB: (Picking something up from the table) I'm not so crazy that I'd go outside on a day like today without protection from the sun.

And she picked up what it was, that I hadn't seen,

"There... satisfied?"
A clear plastic shower cap.

Well yes I am satisfied... it explains the bright reflection as I drove up.

But what part of her addled mind tells her that a clear shower cap is the perfect protection from the blast furnace conditions outside. I'm surprised her whispy silver grey hair didn't sponteniously combust.


Well I'm sure you can recall that old saying:

"If the shower cap fits, wear it."




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bless her heart. I think they should make a tv show about you and MB. Oh wait...they already have. Who could forget .Mmaggie Beare and her long suffering son in the award winning Mother and Son?

groovyoldlady said...

AH- Hahahahahaha! That's GREAT!

I'm glad you went back to check on her!