Sunday, December 21, 2008

On my travels...


I've recently been been travelling around, as is the nature of my job, and some people say that I'm very lucky to be able to have a job that can find me in any part of the world at any time.

I do agree that I'm lucky in the job that I have, I don't have a boss constantly looking over my shoulder, I don't have to account for every second of my day, a large part of what I do is talking in a room of anything from one to twenty or so people, and one of my functions is to conduct a three day training course, often in the client's own premises, and usually those premises are either interstate or overseas.

So, yes, I'm lucky in my job, of which travel is a large part.

But... it doesn't take long before the tinsel wares off a little, not long before it becomes routine... don't get me wrong though, I LOVE my job and I wouldn't trade it for yours in a fit. But that doesn't stop it from being a mundane job most of the time... I have flown around Australia extensively and I have to tell you that it soon loses it's 'awe' factor when one can almost pick out the same sand dune from the last five times of flying over the same part of the same desert. But the overseas aspect of my job is a little less mundane.

I've always fond myself discovering little points of difference between places and people... how we might all be essentially the same around the world, but there are some profound and interesting differences too.

For instance, I once spent fourteen days straight working in a room with a group of ten people from southern U.S. I found them to be fascinating people, I saw how different yet at the same time, how similar we were. And I must say that I had a great time working with them, I loved it... and of course, after two weeks, I had quite a discernible southern accent.

One problem I have is not taking photos... I have a couple of small digital cameras but they annoy me because of how they operate, so I never take them with me anywhere and I have my phone camera which I rarely think to use. I do plan to treat myself to a decent movie/still camera this Xmas and hopefully I'll be more inclined to take pics.

But here are a few pics I took during my recent trip...

First morning from my balcony in Port Moresby PNG.

I did spend time up in the highlands on an oil and gas drilling site, but unfortunately no mobiles or cameras were allowed.




This is a nice fresh morning from my balcony.



On a very hot and humid evening... the show goes on. (Also taken from my balcony)



And of course the sunsets were spectacular.


Whilst up at the drilling sight I saw the following sign outside the 'mess' hall over a big trough sink..

I got the hand washing bit and had no trouble with that... but I got some strange looks as I washed my penis before each meal.


Then it was time to fly home... my trip was spread over four different flights with four different sized planes. The first plane carried about 36 passengers and the second carried anluy a few more. It wasn't until after hitting Aussie soil that we started flying in things that didn't need a guy spining the propeller by hand to get it started.

And of course when you travel with connecting flights, then you know that there's going to be hours in an airport lounge between each one.

That would be okay except not all places serve bears... I know, it's sad to think that bigotry still exists... so this tubby little bear has a trick or two up his sleave when it comes to quenching a hard earned thirst.

But take a look at this sign I snapped at an airport recently... I have obscured their name because I do still travel through there.

"So where's a bear meant to get a drink around here?"



Okay, there's your lot. I'm going to try and make this a bit of a regular exercise and perhaps post more pics that I might take on up coming trips. (Wow, even I'm amazed at how many escape clauses I managed to squeeze into that statement)

Cheers.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can see how it would be hard jetsetting everywhere all the time. The jet lag alone must be hard to deal with. But think of the things you have seen that the rest of us may never get to see. How wonderful. I hope you show us more of your travels. Most enjoyable!

Bear said...

Selma:
Thank you Selma... and yes I've seen parts of the world I hadn't even dreamed I would get to see. The travelling itself is definitely a highlight when I go somewhere new.

Anonymous said...

All I know is that I sure do miss you when you're gone and count the seconds til you get back to me. I love you Bear. xxxxx

Bear said...

Butch:
When we're not in the same room together we may as well be in different states... and if we're in different states, then we may as well be on different continents... if we're ever on different continents, then we may as well be in different parts of the universe... for being away from you, Butch, even when only in the next room, feels like I'm on the other side of the universe... I love you my darling. xxxxx