Monday, November 10, 2008

I DO have an Aura...

You may recall that I discovered in a post on Kirlian, that I had no Aura. Well I've since realised that I do have an 'aura', I just forgot at the time. So I thought I'd share my 'aura' with you...




I had a migraine headache last night... well actually it wasn't… well it was a migraine, but it wasn't a headache... but it was a real pain though.

When I get a migraine, I get all of the symptoms bar one... the pain. It really is weird because I know where the pain should be, I know I should be wincing with it, but I'm not. I do get the 'aura', I do feel nauseous and at times quite unwell, but no pain.

The weirdest part is this…
…my head throbs. It throbs so much that I’m sure others near by should be able to either hear it or see my head pulsating… yet I feel no pain.

But the symptom that really fascinates me is the ‘aura’. Here’s an explanation I found on the web…


Migraine headaches may be preceded by a visual "aura", lasting for 20 to 30 minutes, and then proceeding to the headache. Some people, however, experience the aura but do not have a headache. This visual aura can be very dramatic. Classically, a small blind spot appears in the central vision with a shimmering, zig-zag light inside of it. This enlarges, and moves to one side or the other of the vision, over a 20 to 30 minute period. When it is large, this crescent shaped blind spot containing this brightly flashing light can be difficult to ignore, and some people fear that they are having a stroke. In reality, it is generally a harmless phenomenon, except in people who subsequently get the headache of migraine. Since migraine originates in the brain, the visual effect typically involves the same side of vision in each eye, although it may seem more prominent in one eye or the other. Some people get different variations of this phenomenon, with the central vision being involved, or with the visual effect similar to "heat rising off of a car". Some people describe a "kaleidoscope" effect, with pieces of the vision being missing. All of these variations are consistent with ophthalmic migraine.

Mine actually starts at 1:00 o’clock… that’s clock position, not time… and progresses, spreads, down through two, three, four and when it gets to about 4:30 wanders off to the right and out of sight. My ‘aura’ is very much a shimmer with a coloured zig-zag central core running along its length. The shimmer is in grey hues and the zig-zag tends to be darker shades of grey culminating with a dark yet translucent blue in the very centre.

The ‘aura’ is the very first sign for me, and it starts off as a relatively small blotch on the periphery of my vision, and I often don’t notice it until it starts to increase in size and spread. It takes about thirty minutes to spread down to the 4:30 position and then it stays there for about another half hour after which it dissipates within ten minutes.

I often need to have a lay down when I have a migraine, but not always. So if I’m feeling okay I can function fairly well and I doubt if anyone would notice that I’m in the middle of a migraine. The ‘aura’ makes driving an interesting exercise, I sometimes find it hard to recognise people until they are standing close to me and reading an email written at that time can be quite illegible. The whole process fascinates me no end.

The trouble is, the day after a migraine finds me with a dull headache for much of the day, but it’s not severe enough for pain killers. Which is where I am today.

So there you go, I can’t even have a conventional migraine.




Bear

10 comments:

Aunty Belle said...

hmmn...fascinatin'. I jes' heered that scientists note that migraine sufferers dan git breast cancer much--some chemical that the headaches produce inoculates ya--or somethin' akin to that.

More women than men gits migraines--doan know why. Great imagery ya put wif this post.

Hope ya feels better soon.

Aunty Belle said...

(Uh, not that ya need to worry about breast cancer...)

Joanna Cake said...

Loving those pictures and feeling very sorry for anyone who does get migraines.

Bear said...

Aunty:
Thanks for the scientific info, Aunty. But you wouldn't suggest I was safe if you'd seen my boobs.



Cake:
Thanks on both accounts, Cake. I have a much loved one that really suffers migraines so I know how bad it can be.

Karen said...

Sorry to hear that you were unwell Bear. I have migraines quite badly and as a matter of fact was fighting one all weekend. I lost the battle yesterday and was in horrific pain all day. I get the vomitting too but not the aura or vision disturbances of any kind. Strange huh?

Bear said...

Gypsy:
I'm sorry that you're one of the sufferers, I've seen how profoundly it can effect someone and so you have my sympathies, Gypsy.

Anonymous said...

About a year ago I thought I was losing sight in my left eye. I also saw a yellowish aura and heard the blood pounding in my ears. Turned out it was a type of migraine. It was weird because there was no pain. I've had it happen once or twice since. It is a little unsettling. Sorry to hear you have also been affected.

groovyoldlady said...

I hope you aura feeling better now!

Bear said...

Selma:
You and I are definitely the lucky ones in this. I find the whole experience fascinating.



Groovy:
Oh Groovy, you just introduced pain into humour with a line like that. :)

Mick said...

My mom told me about something similar that she gets when she gets stressed out. We were driving home from the airport once and she had to pull over and let me take the wheel because she couldn't see the road well enough. She has been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis, which may have something to do with it.