Friday, October 9, 2009

WHALES AND THEIR BITE (THE GREAT AUSTRALIAN BIGHT, THAT IS)...

I fly a lot...
and I tend to just gaze out the window whilst
I contemplate the deeper things in my life.


Recently I was flying over the Great Australian
Bight from Melbourne to Perth...
You know, the big curved bit at the centre
bottom of my country.


From way up there I was just gazing at the
very calm sea and marvelling at the fact that there
were no white caps at all, when I realised that the
water was actually being disturbed. Disturbed enough
to make frothy white patches on the surface that
would disappear as quickly as they came. As I
looked I realised there was a pattern to them,
and that they looked as if something physical
below the surface was causing the disturbance.

The plane was very high so I couldn't make out
much detail, but the bright sunlight certainly
made the whiteness of those patches stand out.
It was then that I realised that I was watching a
pod of whales lumbering along and breaking
surface every so often.

It really was amazing... and it made me
feel quite insignificant within the

greater scheme of things.


After concentrating on them a while, I could
see that there were groups within the larger
group, and I would estimate that there was
about thirty whales spread over maybe ten
square kilometres.


Even from that distance, they looked so majestic
as they lumbered along. I could tell by the size
of some of the 'white caps' as they breached
the surface, that some of the whales must've
been quite smaller than the rest. Family groups
with young?



I've never seen a whale up close. Being a teenage surfing
Aussie in my younger days, I saw my share of Dolphins
and
the odd shark up close... the Dolphins were cute
and the sharks were a blur... but I'd love to have
a close
encounter with a pod of whales.


5 comments:

awareness said...

How amazing is that? To be able to see them from the plane. I have often thought I'd like to go whale watching. There are certain times a year when pods of them can be seen quite easily in the Bay of Fundy, which isn't too far from where I live. A friend went to a spot in Quebec, along the Saint Lawrence River and swam with Beluga's last summer. It sounded amazing!

Anonymous said...

I would have been beside myself to see those whales. It's almost as if they were helping the pilot plot his course. How wonderful!

groovyoldlady said...

Verrrrrrrrry Groovy!!

Bear said...

Awareness:
Welcome to my little blog, Awareness. We get a lot of whale migration on all our major coast lines, and occasionally they find their way into our larger bays like Botany or Sydney Harbour, and Port Phillip which is the bay that Melbourne is on. I love the name of the bay near you... I must look it up and find out where Fundy comes from.




Selma:
I've flown over the Bight quite a lot and each time I would wonder if it would be possible to pick out whales from that height and with the water usually in an agitated state... but this time it was very calm and the light was very bright and it made it very easy to see them. The amazing thing is that the experience touched me from so far away.




Groovy:
Yes indeed.




Cheers.

Anonymous said...

I accidently dropped my iphone in water. I removed it imediatly and put it in rice. I also removed the sim card. THe battery was dead when it fell in so it was not on. How much will apple charge to fix it if I send it to them. The water damage indicator is still white but I am sure they will be able to tell some other way.
[url=http://unlockiphone22.com]unlock iphone[/url]