Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Beggars want butter...


On a recent interstate trip I had need to do a little food shopping
in a local shopping centre. The centre had a supermarket surrounded
by smaller shops, of which one was a bakery.

After finishing in the supermarket I decided to go across
the car park to the bakery and I was barely out of the door
when I was approached by a guy;

Beggar: Excuse me mate... I'm not after money...
Me: (Well at that stage I didn't say anything to this rather tall,
toothless and shabbily dressed beggar).
Beggar: ...nah I just wonder if you would buy me some bread please.
Me: (after glancing back over my shoulder at the vast variety of
bread... white, heavily fruited and grained varieties and many
variations of the theme.) Okay, why not?... Come in with me and tell
which one you want.

As we walked in I could see that the young shop assistant had heard
the exchange and was looking at the beggar, waiting for him to
indicate which of the wide selection of nutritious blocks of
sustenance that he would choose...

Beggar: (Pointing at the glass fronted display case) Hot Cross Bun please.
Me: Oh... a Hot Cross Bun? Is one enough, what about two? (and I
turned to the assistant...) Two Hot Cross Buns, please.
Beggar: I love Hot Cross Buns... don't s'pose you got any butter?
Do you have any butter here? I love butter on me Hot Cross Buns.

I looked at the assistant and she shook her head and saying that they
didn't have butter and proceeded to place two buns in a paper bag.
As she placed them on the counter I offered her the money but she
said not to worry about it, they're on the house.



As I walked off towards my hotel I glanced back and saw that the
guy was already well into the first bun as he walked away.

I thought it was a very generous gesture of Bakers Delight, to give
this poor beggar a couple of rolls... not that two rolls will amount to
much, when it comes to their profit for the day. However I think that
their generosity will likely be tested when this beggar fronts up at the
shop every day wanting another handout... and in future I bet
he brings his own butter.

I must say though, I'm with the beggar when it comes to butter and buns.

5 comments:

groovyoldlady said...

That was groovy! We have a well dressed, clean cut, 30-something guy who hangs out in front of one of our local shopping centers with a big sign saying his house had burned and can't we please help, etc. I thought of asking him if his job had burned too - because he puts in a boatload of hours begging...

Anonymous said...

All About blogs, when it comes to tips and tricks you will find them here, themes, plugins how to make money,all here

[URL="http://blogsblog.info"]blog plugins[/URL]

Anonymous said...

[URL="http://googleblogonline.info"]google tips[/URL]

Anonymous said...

[URL="http://alwayspromoting.info/o"]top search engine ranking[/URL]

Anonymous said...

[URL="http://adsensenow.info"]google adsense help[/URL]