Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Drunken Master Throwdown

When I was a teenager, new to my job, one of
the crew would announce that he was going
off for some sandwiches for lunch, and he
would ask if anyone wanted to join him.

There were usually a few eager takers and
off they would all go... leaving me to wonder
what the attraction was... I mean, it was only
sandwiches.

I never joined them because the
sandwiches that Mum would make for me to
take to work were quite adequate, thank you.

However, there was one day that found me to be
sandwichless at work, so without saying anything
I joined the others as they all headed off to
buy their lunch.

So how do these sandwiches fit in with this
challenge?

Well... as we walked down the street towards the
local shopping strip, one of the older blokes turned
to me and asked what I was having for lunch, "Oh
I don't, probably a couple of salad sandwiches." At
that, one of the other guys made a comment that I
didn't quite understand but the others all sniggered
at. I didn't give it another thought until after we
had arrived... and they all started filing into the
local pub.

Being only 15 years old at the time, I continued
on as if I was always headed towards the lunch shop
further down the street. But it was at that point
that I got the joke...


"Well I'm having a bottle of sandwiches...
maybe two."




A light lunch?


A banquet, or maybe a smorgasbord.



ED: I should explain for all my readers... those that
comment (about 2 people) and those that lurk
(over 20 people)... that this post is in response to a
challenge laid down by TROLL. Go visit him... but
don't tell him I sent you, I have a reputation of
indifference to him that I need to maintain.

Cheers.


7 comments:

Kymical Reactions said...

i LOVE this story. OF COURSE they would be having a liquid lunch. There are many, many days that I could get away with a liquid lunch at my job!

h said...

"A Bottle of sandwiches" Grrherhahahahahha. So, you had a real job at 15, eh? That's pretty cool.

Thanks for playing!

LaDivaCucina said...

HAHA, YOU fooled me bear, I thought they were taking you to one of those pubs with strippers! I've been told that the old school pubs have tile on the walls so the bartender could hose down all the spew at the en"d of the day! Wasn't it called the 7:30 slosh" or "swill" or something like that? The pubs used to close super early and everyone tried to get as much grog in their gobs as possible before closing. Is that right?

Heff said...

Ain't nothin' wrong with a bottled lunch every once in awhile !!

Jenny said...

GREAT story and a nice entry for the Throwdown. My family lived in England in the mid-70's and my younger brother was drinking shandy's until my parents realized it was lemonade and BEER. Over there, it was no problem, they actually sold a can to my brother. He was 11.

sparringK9 said...

bread in a bottle.

lifepundit said...

You must have been working with a crew of roofers. Why roofers drink the most makes the least sense. The first thing they did when they worked on a friend of mine's roof was start throwing their empties from the roof into the dumpster -- before they'd nailed the first shingle.

I saw one guy buy a six pack and start drinking one without separating it from the rest. I quit watching after he finished the first and moved on to the second. He was a laborer at a construction company and this was his lunch.