Thursday, June 16, 2011

I just love this man...

Sammy Davis Jr... what an incredible entertainer this guy was... still is when you look at the number of views on YouTube.

I've got a lot of fond memories of watching the Sammy Davis Jr show on Aus TV when I was young... and he came to Aus quite a few times in the 70s and 80s, and was usually a special guest on one of our TV variety shows.

So why the post? I was feeling just a touch melancholy and when I feel that way, I start thinking in terms of song lyrics. I know, a bit weird, but I tend to hum or sing a song that reflects the particular hue of blue that I'm feeling. (I hasten to add here, especially for your benefit Butch, that I'm not revealing a recent spout of depression or anything... more like a sigh).

Anyway, I was looking through YouTube for a specific song, and once found, I played different artists versions of it. And that's how I came across Mr. Junior.

By the way, when someone calls themself 'Whats-a-name Jr' does that make them Mr Junior, or Mr. Whats-a-name Junior or just Mr. Whats-a-name? I wonder what the actual protocol is. But I'm on a tangent now, so let's get back to the point.

After finding Mr. Junior's version of the song, a whole flood of memories came rushing in... so I went off and spent some time watching this great performer.

Right from the start he seemed to own the stage...





He was not only a terrific singer, but quite the actor, tapper, and comedian too.


Here's an example that I really like...





And some more of his talent...





Something a little different...




There's so many great examples of his well known songs...





I love this one...





Here's one I hadn't seen before...






Anyway, I could go on embedding dozens of videos and barely scratch the surface, so I'll leave it here with the song that started me on this little sojourn...




Cheers.



2 comments:

Gypsy Dancer said...

Sorry Bear. I don't have time to sit and watch all of these clips but I agree he was a very talented man. I had no idea what a brilliant dancer he was. My daughter won a dance comp to Mr Bojangles and I have to say I prefer other versions of this song.

Anonymous said...

He was amazing and in many ways overshadowed by the other members of the Rat Pack. I don't think people appreciated his talent when he was with them. Sinatra hogged the limelight.

He was such a wonderful performer and interpreted songs with a great deal of sensitivity. And what a hoofer. One of the greats!